Uniquely Elias | Elias Artmetal Picture Frames
In a world where craftsmanship and quality have become almost entirely replaced by mass produced inferior quality goods Elias Artmetal still holds to the principle that the fine design and quality of our products has absolute priority. Forty Years ago Constantine Elias, a graduate of the Parsons School of Design, began experimenting with creative mold making and casting in studio in New York City.
Inspired by the enthusiastic response of his customers, Constantine and his wife Ruth started Elias Artmetals with the aim to create frames with the highest possible standards of quality and design.
Every frame they create is a work of functional, three dimensional art castings inspired by the great historical art movements. Every frame is hand-crafted in their shop in Mineola, New York.
What are the unique features of an Elias Artmetal Picture Frames?
Highest Quality and Most Artistic Designs
Convenient cost cutting and quality degrading short cuts are the norm today but not in the Elias shop. They still hand make all their products in the USA, in their own shop, to ensure their highest integrity.
Extra Fine Pewter
Elias still uniquely alloy their own Extra Fine Pewter, using the purest and finest virgin metals to create the worlds best pewter. Their process involves:
- Adding a small amount of pure silver which dramatically increases strength, brightness and detail sharpness
- Hand patina and finishing their XF-Pewter using techniques similar to the finishing of sterling silver
- The unique pewter is specially formulated to closely match the appearance of fine polished silver.
Fine Gold Patina
Modern “gold” electroplating is usually done over cheap base metals on top of which “faux gold” finishes are applied, it doesn’t look like real gold because its not.
- They begin with Extra Fine Pewter and electroplate it themselves with real gold in their plant
- It is then hand finish it to achieve the fine gold patinas
- It looks like real gold because it is
Real Silk Taffeta & Nylon Velvet
Our custom bi-directional easel backs use USA-made real silk taffeta and nylon velvet materials which are dyed in a signature black green color. These very special easel backs are exclusively Elias’s and allow their frames to be used vertically or horizontally while remaining centered and stable. The following example is the same frame shown with the easel swiveled to show both positions.